Things as It is

To describe the indescribable

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Zen monk and meditation teacher. Not a Zen teacher - that is a different animal altogether to be clear.





Friday, April 13, 2007

Small Things

I remember an impression of a cat,
A transvestite's voice,
Holding someone in my arms all night
and not sleeping,
The sky just before a storm.
Small things make me happy.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny because I remember those things making me happy as well.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

had a monk tell me once .. this was poetic happiness
thought that was cool

8:13 PM  
Blogger Renegade said...

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man
who is not a poet,
do not show him your poems.

- Rinzai

I don't know if he was a Zen monk but if he was and he wrote poems for you, it means more than might be imagined. Ideally, Zen poems touch the universal and the particular at the same time and to share that with another means that something very deep is recognised. I hope that he was a good poet.

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont think he was a poet. he just pointed out it was poetic happiness. therefore i showed him my sword.. lol

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just let the ink flow from your heart, and you become the poet. I love the way you write, and I love writting for you.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just let the ink flow from your heart, and you become the poet. I love the way you write, and I love writing for you.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all this chitter chatter about poetry.. perhaps i should begin writing ...like i once did.. should be interesting this time around... my wisdom has shifted and my thoughts are lite..hmmm?

3:51 PM  
Blogger Trancendence1 said...

Well than, hop to it. I'm sure it will be your best work yet.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Renegade said...

If he was a Zen monk, then he was a poet. It isn't possible to be one without being the other. If he was Theravadin then probably not, they'r too busy looking up the relevant passage in the Suttas and seeing if something is 'allowed' or not, and if Vajrayana, maybe...

But a Zen monk - he would have to be a poet, no way round it. Poetry is at the heart of the Way, as is playfulness. Most people never get that and tend to prefer to stay with some saccharine version of what they think practice is instead - something that mistakes grimness for being serious, and play is always serious in that it keeps to the heart of what matters. It is though never grim. That it leaves for those who cannot understand.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a zen poet i am not
a small writing once inwhile .. ya
a zen buddhist? half i think.lol

but the once in awhile thing just happened.

i think i did ok?

10:38 PM  
Blogger Renegade said...

Only you can answer if you did ok. Unless you mean in the other person's opinion of course, in which case you'd have to ask him. But I would say that in my experience, nothing 'just happens'. If a connection is established, there's a reason for that. It reflects something bigger than the individuals concerned.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i will ask him to check it out. if he finds my space then he can decide whether or not the zen is in me.
after i tend to that i will honestly check in with those individual concerns.
indeed

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out myspace if your interested

3:20 PM  
Blogger Renegade said...

If you email me a link to it I'd be happy to. Otherwise I don't have any way of knowing who you are or what the site of your MySpace is.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home